The Letters Project is a collaborative multimedia installation that explores the interactive relationship between original visual artwork with original creative text. The installation, which features the poetry of Deborah Pope, the letterforms and digital prints of artist Merrill Shatzman and my animation, highlights the potential of digital media in translating the written word. The video connected the different art forms by creating a dimension of time and rhythm as well as visuals that interpret the atmosphere of the poem and reflect the physical creation of the letterforms. Art in all its rhythms of paradox, play, persistence, its rough turns, and joys: its restless circling, transcendent moments of ephemeral poise, and ceaseless seeking. The Letters Project was supported by a Duke University Council for the Arts Collaborative Development Grant.
Music by Bob M, from “Tribe: Gabrielle Roth and the Mirrors,” Raven Recording.
- Meraki Film Festival, Madrid, Spain / Berlin, Germany. Semi-finalist.
- Virgin Spring Cinefest, Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Västerås Filmfestival, Västerås, Sweden.
- STIFF: Seattle Transmedia & Independent Film Festival, Seattle, WA, USA.
- Five Continents International Film Festival, Venezuela. (best video art)
- South Film & Arts Academic Festival, Rancagua, Chile.
- New York Lift-Off Online Film Festival.
- Magmart Video Under Volcano International Film Festival, X Edition.
- Tokyo Lift-Off Online Film Festival.
- “ART” Exhibition, East Corridor, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA.
- Letters exhibition, LoDi Project, Mezzanine Gallery, Raleigh, NC, USA.